Saturday, September 22, 2007

Noahs Trip to the Hospital

So we had a bit of a scare today! This morning after I had put Gwen down for her morning nap and Noah was watching "Cars" on TV. I ran to the bathroom for a few moments and when I came out Noah had red dye dripping out of his mouth, and all over his hands. I asked him what he had been eating. And he said " I ate candy, yucky candy". This worried me because we don't have any red candy in the house. So I asked him to show me what candy he was talking about. Noah took me into the kitchen and climbed up onto the stool and on to the counter where he opened up our medicine cabinet...my heart just stopped at this point as he pulled out the extra strength Tylenol. I asked Noah how much "candy" he had, had and he said "a lot" I freaked out at this point and like any good parent called poison control they told me that since I didn't know how much Tylenol he had actually taken we would have to wait four hours then take him to the hospital to get his blood drawn to see if he had taken to much. This happened at 10:00am. Mike came home and we took Noah to the AF Hospital at 2:00pm.

We went to the emergency and waited in the waiting room for an hour.... a very long hour.

finally we got to go back to see the doctor they kept Noah on a short leash!


They had to give Noah an IV to draw blood and give him some medicine to clean out his system. This was horrible. Mike and I had to hold Noah down he cried and cried. They bandaged him up trying to hid the IV that was still in him so he would stop crying. But he was reminded of it every time he would try to bend his arm. It would sting again and he would cry. They told us it would take twenty minutes to know if he was positive or negative. If he was negative we could take out the IV and go home if it was positive he could face possible liver failure so we were pretty concerned. The twenty minuets ended up being two hours. A very long two hours of worrying, holding Noah's arm strait so he wouldn't bend it and trying to keep him entertained. Finally the Doctor came and told us the good news Noah was fine. So we got to pack up and go home....Yeah!

I feel so lucky that Noah was OK. This whole experience made me realize how in an instant you can turn around and when you look back your whole life has changed. I thank my Father in Heaven every night that I get to tuck my children in to bed and kiss them good night safe and sound. Every day with them is a blessing!








































2 comments:

The Konnad's said...

Oh, poor Noah! I hope that he is ok, that is so scarry... Good thing he didn't share with Gwen and that you caught it so quickly.
Nikkie

Crystal said...

That is so scary, Riley found one of my prenatal vitamins on the floor in the kitchen the other day and he had it in his mouth long enough to make a big mess of himself but nothing more.. They are to fast and hard to stop when they learn to climb....So scary and glad Noah is okay Crystal